Safe Kids Pennsylvania supports legislation in the commonwealth that works to protect the health and welfare of our children. We also track legislative initiatives in other states to share that relevant information with our network of supporters.
Pennsylvania: Bill mandates rear-facing child passenger safety seats until age 2 – March 2016 (SB1152)
Public Policy Updates
Lead Paint Budget Cuts
The Reuters News Service has been running an investigation about the dangers and ubiquitous nature of lead in the U.S. and identified more than 3,300 U.S. neighborhoods with documented childhood lead poisoning rates double those found in Flint, Michigan. You can check out lead hotspots in U.S. cities through Reuters’ interactive map.
- California: Bill support on home swimming pool safety cleared a committee in the State Senate (SB442). Next stop: Appropriations Committee.
- Indiana: Law enacted requiring people under 18 to wear helmets on ATVs, inspired by a mom who lost her daughter on an ATV (HB1200).
- Mississippi: Law enacted requiring drivers and all passengers to be restrained in occupant protection (SB2724).
- Montana: Bill that would expand return to play protocols to non-public schools and youth athletic leagues passed both houses, onto the Governor (HB487).
- Oklahoma: Bill that would exempt handicapped drivers from rear-facing requirement passed both houses, despite strong, effective opposition from OK Safe Kids coalitions (HB1607).